Foxtail Millet |
Pearl Millet |
Wild Rice |
Oryza Species |
Wheat Intro |
Agronomic Statistics |
Germplasm Resources |
Gramene Statistics |
Every wheat-producing country conducts breeding programs aimed to increase hardiness to pests and to environmental factors and diseases that damage the plant, affect nutrition,growth, yield and quality (12, 1). Wheat is subject to more diseases than other grains, and during wet seasons wheat will suffer heavier losses than other cereals (1). Rust is the most destructive wheat disease, and insects damage about ten percent of the United States wheat crop every year (7). Lodging (when grain weight becomes too heavy for the plant to support) is also a significant area of research (2).
Databases and Genetic Information
- 1. Wikipedia, November 2005. Wheat & Neolithic entries from Wikipedia
- 2. International Wheat and Maize Improvement Center, Nov 2005. International Wheat Improvement Network (IWIN)
- 3. K. Edwards, G. Jellis, S. Shepherd, G. Barker, & J. Parker. Nov 2005. Wheat, the Big Picture
- 4. Delacy, I. & Micallef, S., Nov 2005. < a href="http://mendel.lafs.uq.edu.au:8080/ICIS5/".The Global Wheat Information System (GWIS), The University of Queensland,
- 5. Beuerlein, J., 2001. Classes and Uses of Wheat: Fact Sheet
- 6. WholeHealthMD.com, LLC., 2000. Foods: Wheat.
- 7. Oracle Education Foundation, Nov 2005. Where Wheat is Grown. Article written for Thinquest Junior Competition.
- 8. Wroot, S., Pinkersgall, D., and "Oz", (2001). The History of Wheat.
- 9. "Oz", 2001. Modern Wheat: Wheat Characteristics and Useage.
- 10. Wroot, S., 2003. Wheat - structure and genetics.
- 11. History of Wheat. from http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT140751/sc.5/category.-105/it.I/id.4/.f
- 12. The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. 2005. Wheat Columbia University Press.
- 13. USDA-NRCS, 2005. The PLANTS Database, Version 3.5 (http://plants.usda.gov) Data compiled from various sources by Mark W Skinner. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA.
- 14. Nov 2005. GWIS - Global Wheat Information System
- 15. Matthews, D. (Accessed Nov 2005) Wheat Synonymy Tables Project
- 16. FAOSTAT, 2005. Crops Primary data last updated July 14, 2005, Food Supply Data last updated Aug 27, 2004.
- 17. Nov 2005. US Wheat Associates. "Wheat Classes"
- 18. USDA, ARS, Nov 2005. National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. 12442
- 19. (http://wire.ndsu.nodak.edu/) Wheat Information Resource (WIRE)