Foxtail Millet |
Pearl Millet |
Wild Rice |
Oryza Species |
Foxtail Millet Research
Foxtail Millet Intro |
Germplasm Resources |
Gramene Statistics |
Foxtail millet research and breeding has been limited since the major research done in Asia between 1930 and 1965 (2). Research into the nutritional values of the millets for humans is still new (9).
Diseases that affect foxtail millet include leaf and head blast disease, smut disease, green ear, mildew, bacterial blight,
leaf spots, yield improvement, and niche markets such as grain color and head size (for wild and caged birds) (1, 2, 6, 8). Specifically of importance for US growers, foxtail millet contributes to problems in wheat for wheat curl mite and wheat streak mosaic, so resistance to these problems helps limit foxtail millet's contamination of the significant nearby wheat crop (2).
Natural pests include grasshoppers, armyworms, birds and rodents (6, 2, 8).
For more information on current research in the millets, see:
Databases and Genetic Information
- Baker, R. D., (2003) Millet Production (Guide A-414) [PDF], New Mexico State University
- Baltensperger, D.D. 2002. Progress with proso, pearl and other millet
- Center for New Crops & Plant Products, Purdue University, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture Foxtail Millet data 1/31/2006
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), Research & Impact: Areas of Research:Millet
- *FAOSTAT 2005 Data
- Hungarian grass. (n.d.) Wikipedia.org. (2005). Retrieved March 30 2006 from http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Hungarian+grass The Free Dictionary
- The Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) data, Retrieved [3/30/2006], from ITIS.
- Oelke, E.A., Oplinger, E.S., Putnam, D.H., Durgan, B.R., Doll, J.D. and Undersander, D.J. (1990) Millets, in Alternative Field Crops Manual
- Railey, Karen. Whole Grains: Millet
- Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture. Crops: Millet: What is Millet?
- Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture. Crops: Millet: Pearl Millet
- UK CropNet, data 02-Nov-2005
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?33817 (30 March 2006)
- USDA, NRCS. 2006. The PLANTS Database, 6 March 2006 (http://plants.usda.gov). Data compiled from various sources by Mark W. Skinner. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA.
- Wikipedia contributors, 'Millet', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 3 April 2006, 15:43 UTC, [accessed 3 April 2006]
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), Research & Impact: Areas of Research:
MilletResearch & Impact: Areas of Research: Millet